© Rita Draper Frazão

Inner Tour is a blog about People, Arts and Traveling by Rita Draper Frazão.
If you want to use my work, presented here, please send me a message.

9.25.2014

The days and the nights of João Botelho

The nights of João Botelho

João Botelho is one of Portugal's acclaimed cinema directors. 
His new project is the film Os Maias, based on the novel, with the same title by Eça de Queiroz - a classic of Lusophone literature. To bring this story to life, he chose some of our elite actors. The result is a movie that premiered on the 11th of September, and is the third most watched movie of the year in Portugal, with over 40 000 spectators so far.

Sábado Magazine interviewed Botelho to know a little bit more about him and his last full-length movie, so I won't extend too much on this topic because you can read and see all about it in the already published  article written by Raquel Lito, with photos by Marisa Cardoso, plus my portrait of João Botelho. You can also take a look at the online report version or you can buy the magazine, that's out today, here

Making The nights of João Botelho


I pictured João Botelho in diptych mode, with day and night versions.
On the night drawing (the portrait), the vague blue was the inflated air representing the perennial hours, the never that might be tomorrow.

The days of João Botelho

For the day version, João Botelho, lent me the hand he writes with, for this drawing. I thought about it as one of his framing tools. A conversation elevated to a terrace, with a hand shape: an open window to see the poetry of the sky. The scribbles were inspired in letters, in calligraphy, having in mind literature, poetry and story telling.

Making of The days of João Botelho

Although he told me he rarely remembers his dreams, I think his films have the ability to make others do so, including me. Long live films like João Botelho's - His composition sense is remarkable and his films are living light paintings. If you're not familiar with his work, it's worth to know it. I find it irreplaceable.



It was real fun to do this work, and such a privilege to draw live my favorite Portuguese film director!
Thank you Raquel Lito, Revista Sábado and Marisa Cardoso. It was so cool to collaborate with you all.

All photographs by Marisa Cardoso


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário